Thursday, November 23, 2017

The Return of My Prayer Beads

During a Pastors' Continuing Education Retreat in 2006, I took the opportunity to make a set of Anglican Prayer Beads.  (For more information on Anglican Prayer Beads, their design and how to use them, click here.)  -  I was introduced to these beads through my (then) sisters and brothers in the Order of St. Luke.  (I was a member of the OSL for several years.)  -  You can read that story in my 2007 article, “Wesleyan-Holiness Prayers with Beads," published in OSL's Sacramental Life (19.3).

During the creation of my prayer beads, I also created a set of prayers that fit nicely with my Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition.  Thus, the title of the article!  (I've printed those prayers, below.)

The truth is, though I do still occasionally pray those prayers with my beads, more often than not, I have reverted to more traditional prayers.  So, I pray the Jesus Prayer with the weeks (the little round beads): "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me (a sinner)."  And, for the cruciform beads (the four larger beads), I pray the Trisagion, "Holy God,  Holy and Mighty,  Holy and Immortal One, Have mercy upon us."


The prayers have been very helpful.  I would often pray while driving from place to place.  They help to bring focus upon the Lord and His grace.  They also bring a sense of calm and peace in God's presence.  -  Like Morning and Evening Prayer, they have been a means of grace for me.

However, sometime back, the strand broke!  I think it became brittle, since I usually keep the beads in the car where they will get considerably hot and considerably cold, depending on the weather.  -  I've gone quite a while without them, and I have missed them!

So, today (Thanksgiving Day), I finally took time to re-string and repair my beads.  -  I am so glad to have them back!  Just having them in my hand becomes a prayer, and, of course, I'm looking forward to actually praying with them!

For those who would like to pray using the "Wesleyan-Holiness prayers," I have printed them, below.  For those who would like to use the more traditional prayers, I have included them, above.  (The prayers other than the weeks & cruciform prayers remain the same.)  -  May God's blessings be upon all who decide to take up the discipline of praying with Anglican Prayer Beads!

The Cross
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

The Invitatory Bead
O God make speed to save us,
O Lord make haste to help us,
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

The Cruciform Beads
“The Collect of Purity”
Almighty God, to whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid: Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love You, and worthily magnify your holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.
 
The Weeks
May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; (and may your whole spirit, and soul, and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.)*
He who calls you is faithful, and He will do this.
(1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; my version)

The Last time through:
The Invitatory Bead
The Lord’s Prayer

The Cross
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

___________________________________________________________________________________
*Some may wish to leave off the parenthetical part for the sake of brevity.  (I usually do.) 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Saw your article this morning. I started using prayer beads when I was dealing with the brain haze and exhaustion that comes with chemotherapy. Still have them (7 year survivor).

Todd A. Stepp said...

Fantastic! Congratulations on the 7 years!

Michael Anglican said...

I'm just curious. What are your beads made of?

Barton Price said...

I read that you said you *were* a member of OSL for years. Care to share why you no longer are a member?

Todd A. Stepp said...

Michael,

I'm not really sure. I bought them years ago at Wal-Mart.

Todd A. Stepp said...

Barton,
I was a member of the OSL from March 2000 until the Fall of 2013 when "For All the Saints" (second edition) was published. I was an editorial consultant for their "Sacramental Life" journal from 2009 until I left the Order.

I don't go around bringing it up, but I don't have a problem sharing. It falls along the same lines of the splits that have taken place in many denominations.

I am consistent with the "orthodox" or "historical" position of the Church concerning sexuality and marriage. That means that I am consistent with the official statements of both the UMC and the Church of the Nazarene. - The OSL took the position of not taking a position. They allowed various positions to be expressed, for example, on the Cyber-Chapter. There were those who were very vocal about being "progressive" on those issues. Nevertheless, I remained a part of the Order and accepted that the Order included those who did not believe as I did.

However, with the publication of "For All the Saints" (in which I have three articles), the OSL went from a position of "toleration" to one of "endorsement" by including articles that promoted the "progressive" position (in a book, the focus of which is the commemoration of "saints"). - I had looked forward to presenting the book to my DS and our board of general superintendents. Instead, I decided that it was time for me to walk away.

The Abbott called me, when he learned of my decision, and I greatly appreciated that. I have friends who remain in the OSL. I have published in "Sacramental Life" since that time. But, I decided to step away from membership.

Since then, I have taken the energy that I had place in OSL, and I have placed that energy in the Wesleyan-Anglican Society, which has a more narrow focus, as the name implies. The WAS has folks who hold membership in both groups, but it also provides a kind of alternative for those who want a different option.

I hope that answers your question.