Friday, March 1, 2013

Devotional Thought

As I was praying Morning Prayer, this morning, I sang the following hymn by Charles Wesley as found in Wesley Hymns, compile by Ken Bible, Lillenas Publishing (Nazarene), 1982.  The final line struck me, especially.

 

O My All-sufficient God

 
O my all-sufficient God,
Thou know'st my heart's desire;
Be this only thing bestowed;
I nothing else require,
Nothing else in earth or skies,
Not through all eternity;
Heav'n itself could not suffice:
I seek not Thine, but Thee.
 
Following the hymn, on the same page, was the following quote from John Wesley's A Plain Account of Christian Perfection:
 
 
"One design you are to pursue to the end of time, the enjoyment of God in time and in eternity.  Desire other things so far as they tend to this; love the creature, as it leads to the Creator.  But in every step you take, be this the glorious point that terminates your view.  Let every affection, and thought, and word, and action, be subordinate to this.  Whatever you desire or fear, whatever you seek or shun, whatever you think, speak, or do, be it in order to your happiness in God,the sole end, as well as source, of your being."
 
Amen.


No comments: