Friday, October 17, 2014

I Want a Principle Within

During Morning Prayer, as has been my custom, I sang some hymns.  I have rotated between the Nazarene "Sing to the Lord" hymnal and various collections of Wesley hymns.  Currently, I am once again singing through the "Wesley Hymns" hymnal compiled by Ken Bible and published through Lillenas Publishing Co. (Nazarene).

Today's hymns included the following by Charles Wesley.  -  It is my prayer, and I hope that it will be yours, as well.

1. I want a principle within
Of watchful, godly fear,
A sensibility of sin,
A pain to feel it near.
I want the first approach to feel
Of pride or wrong desire,
To catch the wand'ring of my will,
And quench the kindling fire.
 
2. That I from Thee no more may part,
No more Thy goodness grieve,
The filial* awe, the fleshly heart,
The tender conscience, give.
Quick* as the apple of an eye*,
O God, my conscience make;
Awake my soul when sin is nigh
And keep it still awake.
 
3. If to the right or left I stray,
That moment, Lord, reprove;
And let my spirit weep and pray
For having grieved Thy love.
O may the least omission pain
My well-instructed soul!
And drive me to the blood again,
Which makes the wounded whole.
 
_____________________________________________________________________
2/3 "filial" - of a son or daughter; here the awe of a child for his/her parent.
2/4 "quick" - alert, perceptive, sensitive.
2/5 "the apple of an eye" - that which is highly prized or dear; see Prov. 7:2

No comments: