Wednesday, February 19, 2020

More Holiness Hymns

I am still in the "Holiness" section of the hymnal (cf. previous post), and I thought I would share all three of the hymns for the day.  The first two are classic Charles Wesley hymns, and the third is by the American Methodist hymn writer, Lelia N. Morris, 1908. 

You will notice a marked distinction between the older, Wesley hymns and the one from the American Holiness Movement.  The former look toward or anticipate (in this life!) the experience of that "second rest" of "perfect love."  The latter is a celebratory testimony of God's "saving, sanctifying pow'r" and an invitation for others to "Boldly cross the Jordan's tide."  -  Both are very much a part of our heritage and identity in the Church of the Nazarene.

I hope you enjoy the hymns, and I hope that they prove to be a blessing to you!

Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
1. Love divine, all loves excelling,
Joy of heav'n, to earth come down!
Fix in us Thy humble dwelling;
All Thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, Thou art all compassion;
Pure, unbounded love Thou art.
Visit us with Thy salvation;
Enter ev'ry trembling heart.

 
2. Breathe, O breathe Thy loving Spirit
Into ev'ry troubled breast!
Let us all in Thee inherit;
Let us find that second rest.
Take away our bent to sinning;
Alpha and Omega be.
End of faith, as its Beginning,
Set our hearts at liberty.

3. Come, Almighty to Deliver;
Let us all Thy life receive.
Suddenly return, and never,
Nevermore Thy temples leave.
Thee we would be always blessing,
Serve Thee as Thy hosts above,
Pray and praise Thee without ceasing,
Glory in Thy perfect love.

4. Finish then Thy new creation;
Pure and spotless let us be.
Let us see Thy great salvation,
Perfectly restored in Thee;
Changed from glory into glory,
Till in heav'n we take our place,
Till we cast our crowns before Thee,
Lost in wonder, love, and praise.



Jesus, My Strength, My Hope
 
1. Jesus, my strength, my hope,
On Thee I cast my care,
With humble confidence look up,
And know Thou hear'st my prayer.
Give me on Thee to wait
Till I can all things do;
On Thee, almighty to create,
Almighty to renew.

2. I want a godly fear,
A quick-discerning eye
That looks to Thee when sin is near
And sees the tempter fly;
A spirit still prepared
And armed with jealous care,
Forever standing on its guard
And watching unto prayer.

3. I want a true regard,
A single, steady aim,
Unmoved by threat'ning or reward,
To Thee and Thy great name;
A jealous, just concern
For Thine immortal praise;
A pure desire that all may learn
And glorify Thy grace.

4. I rest upon Thy Word;
the promise is for me:
My comfort and salvation, Lord,
Shall surely come from Thee.
But let me still abide,
Nor from my hope remove,
Till Thou my patient spirit guide
Into Thy perfect love.



Sanctifying Power
1. There is sanctifying pow'r,
Like a sweet, refreshing show'r,
Waiting for each consecrated heart:
Pow'r to cleanse us from all sin,
Pow'r to keep us pure within,
Pow'r for service which He will impart.

(Refrain) I'm so glad, I'm so glad
For this saving, sanctifying pow'r!
Waves of glory o'er me roll;
Peace abides within my soul.
I'm so glad for this sanctifying pow'r!

2. I'm so glad it reaches me,
All unworthy tho' I be,
Overcoming grace made freely mine.
Since the Comforter abides,
And within my heart resides,
I am walking in the light of divine.

3. This God's will for you and me,
That we sanctified should be,
Dwelling in this land of plenteousness.
Fling your doubts and fears aside;
Boldly cross the Jordan's tide,
And your heritage in Christ possess.

4. Songs of praises let us sing
To our blessed Lord and King
For this great salvation rich and free:
Ev'ry needed grace supplied,
Ev'ry longing satisfied,
Saved for time and for eternity.

No comments: