Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year's Covenant Prayer

The following "Covenant Prayer" is listed as #484 in Sing to the Lord, the hymnal of the Church of the Nazarene. It is there abbreviated and adapted from the Rev'd. John Wesley's Covenant Service. A much more complete edition o the entire Covenant Service, including a more complete rendition of this prayer, can be found in the back of the book, Wesley Hymns, compiled by Ken Bible and also published by Lillenas Publishing (Nazarene Publishing House).



While I commend the entire Wesley Covenant Service to all, I offer, here, the shorter adapted version from the Nazarene hymnal and invite all who will to join in this prayer at the beginning of this New Year:

I am no longer my own, but Yours.
Put me to what You will,
Rank me with whom You will.
Put me to doing,
Put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by You or laid aside for You,
Exalted for You or brought low by You.
Let me have all things,
Let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
You are mine, and I am Yours.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
Let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.

No comments: