Friday, February 19, 2021

Love, the Essence of Holiness

Today, as a part of my praying Morning Prayer, I sang two wonderful hymns that I would like to share with you, the readers of this blog.

The first is by Paul Gerhardt and is translated by John Wesley.  (It is on page 499 in the Sing to the Lord hymnal)
:


Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me

1. Jesus, Thy boundless love to me
No tho't can reach, no tongue declare;
O knit my thankful heart to Thee
And reign without a rival there.
Thine wholly, Thine alone, I am;
Be Thou alone my constant flame.

2. O grant that nothing in my soul
May dwell, but Thy pure love alone;
O may Thy love possess me whole,
My joy, my treasure, and my crown.
Strange flames far from my heart remove;
My ev'ry act, word, thought, be love.

3. O Love, how cheering is Thy ray!
All pain before Thy presence flies;
Care, anguish, sorrow melt away
Where'er Thy healing beams arise.
O Jesus, nothing may I see,
Nothing desire or seek but Thee!

4. In suff'ring be Thy love my peace;
In weakness be Thy love my pow'r;
And when the storms of life shall cease,
Jesus, in that important hour,
In death as life be Thou my guide,
And save me, who for me hast died!


The second hymn is a Charles Wesley hymn.  (It can be found on page 500 of the same hymnal):


Jesus, Thine All-victorious Love

1.  Jesus, Thine all-victorious love
Shed in my heart abroad;
Then shall my feet no longer rove,
Rooted and fixed in God.

2.  O that in me the sacred fire
Might now begin to glow,
Burn up the dross of base desire,
And make the mountains flow!

3. O that it now from heav'n might fall,
And all my sins consume!
Come, Holy Ghost, for Thee I call;
Spirit of Burning come!

4.  Refining Fire, go thro' my heart;
Illuminate my soul.
Scatter Thy life thro' ev'ry part,
And sanctify the whole.

5.  My steadfast soul, from falling free,
Shall then no longer move,
When Christ is all the world to me,
And all my heart is love.

No comments: