Friday, May 28, 2021

Experiential Joy of Knowing Christ

 Here is one of the Wesley hymns that I sang during Morning Payer.  It expresses the experiential joy of knowing Christ by grace through faith.

O How Happy Are They

O how happy are they
Who the Saviour obey,
And have laid up their treasure above!
Tongue can never express
The sweet comfort and peace
Of a soul in its earliest love.

That sweet comfort was mine,
When the favor divine
I first found in the blood of the Lamb;
When my heart first believed,
What a joy I received, 
What a heaven in Jesus' Name!

'Twas a heaven below
My Redeemer to know,
And the angels could do nothing more,
Than to fall at His feet,
And the story repeat,
And the Love of sinners adore.

Jesus all the day long
Was my joy and my song:
O that all His salvation might see!
"He hath loved me," I cried,
"He hath suffered and died,
To redeem a poor rebel like me."

O the rapturous height
Of that holy delight
Which I felt in the life-giving blood!
By my Saviour possessed,
I was perfectly blest,
As if filled with the fullness of God.

No comments: