Friday, September 3, 2021

God: The Sole End and Source Of Our Being


Currently, during the Daily Office, I am singing my way through Wesley Hymns, a great little hymnal put together by Ken Bible.  -  In fact, over the years, I have made this little hymnal a Christmas gift to musicians in the churches where I have served.  -  During today's Morning prayer, I sang a wonderful little song by Charles Wesley entitled "O My All-sufficient God," and read a brief excerpt from John Wesley's A Plain Account of Christian Perfection.  The two go hand in hand (which is probably why Ken Bible put them together in the hymnal!).

I am reproducing them, here, praying that they will be a blessing to you:


O My All-sufficient God

O my all-sufficient God,
Thou know'st my heart's desire;
Be this only thing bestowed;
I nothing else require,
Nothing else in earth or skies,
Not through all eternity;
Heav'n itself could not suffice:
I seek not Thine, but Thee.
-  
(Charles Wesley)

     One design you are to pursue to the end of time, the enjoyment of God in time and in eternity.  
     Desire other things so far as they tend to this; love the creature, as it leads to the Creator.  But in 
     every step you take, be this the glorious point that terminates your view.  Let every affection, and 
     thought, and word, and action, be subordinate to this.  Whatever you desire or fear, whatever you 
     seek or shun, whatever you think, or speak, or do, be it in order to your happiness in God, the sole 
     end, as well as source, of your being.  -  From John Wesley's A Plain Account of Christian 
     Perfection.

No comments: