Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Wesley Wednesday: February 22, 2023

 I have a Charles Wesley mug that says, "8,989 Hymns...Tell me, who is John again? #siblingrivalry".  -  Well, for today's Wesley Wednesday, I am turning to Charles and a hymn that came up in the Our Great Redeemer's Praise hymnal during today's Morning Prayer:

Depth of Mercy! Can There Be

1. Depth of mercy! Can there be
mercy still reserved for me?
Can my God His wrath forbear,
me, the chief of sinners, spare?
I have long withstood His grace,
long provoked Him to His face,
would not hearken to His calls,
grieved Him by a thousand falls.

2. I my Master have denied,
I afresh have crucified,
and profaned His hallow'd name,
put Him to an open shame.
Whence to me this waste of love?
Ask my Advocate above!
See the cause in Jesus' face,
now before the throne of grace.

3. Jesus, answer from above,
is not all Thy nature love?
Will Thou not the wrong forget,
permit me to kiss Thy feet?
If I rightly read Thy heart,
if Thou all compassion art,
bow Thine ear, in mercy bow,
pardon and accept me now.

4. There for me the Savior stands,
shows His wounds and spreads His hands.
God is love! I know, I feel,
Jesus weeps and loves me still.
Now incline me to repent,
let me now my fall lament,
now my foul revolt deplore,
weep, believe, and sin no more.



No comments: