Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Wesley Wednesday: September 20, 2023

 The following quote comes from a passage in John Wesley's Sermon 43: The Scriptural Way of Salvation:


    I.8. From the time of our being 'born again' the gradual work of sanctification takes place. We are enabled 'by the Spirit' to 'mortify the deeds of the body', of our evil nature. And as we are more and more dead to sin, we are more and more alive to God. We go on from grace to grace, while we are careful to 'abstain from all appearance of evil', and are 'zealous of good works', 'as we have opportunity, doing good to all men'; while we walk in all his ordinances blameless, therein worshipping him in spirit and in truth; while we take up our cross and deny ourselves every pleasure that does not lead us to God.

    9.  It is thus that we wait for entire sanctification, for a full salvation from all our sins, from pride, self-will, anger, unbelief, or, as the Apostle expresses it, 'Go on to perfection.' But what is perfection? The word has various senses: here it means perfect love. It is love excluding sin; love filling the heart, taking up the whole capacity of the soul. It is love 'rejoicing evermore, praying without ceasing, in everything giving thanks'.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I love your blog!! I have a question: I’m a teenager and I’m establishing a Micronation. I was wondering if you could (in a comment) crown me king of my Micronation and bless my Micronation.